4.02.2012

Resurrection Gladness

Today is the Monday of Holy Week.  My mind races with so many thoughts as I contemplate the walk of Jesus towards the cross.  It seems unfortunate that a majority of these thoughts are coated with anxiety or worry, rather than a contented peace or anticipating joy.  Brennan writes this in regards to Ignatius of Loyola's prayer for 'intense gladness' throughout the fifty days of Easter season.
"If this prayer (for intense gladness) is heard, I shall have found a source of joy that is unassailable, for whatever happens, the Lord is always risen.  Contingencies cannot suffocate this deep joy.  Whether the day is stormy or fair, whether I am sick or healthy, whether I feel like a dirt ball or a butterfly, whatever comes cannot alter the fact that the Lord is risen."
 Thus, whether my job interview goes well or poorly tomorrow.
      The Lord is risen.
Regardless of my kids behaving or disrespecting.
      The Lord is risen.
When I act more like a sinner than a saint.
      The Lord is risen.
If my marriage is intimate or distant.
      The Lord is risen.
Friends may love me or leave me.
      The Lord is risen.
Self-control may win or wain.
      The Lord is risen.
These last eight weeks of Seminary may enable or exhaust me.
      The Lord is risen.
Whether I am dejected or comforted.
      The Lord is risen.
Whatever happens, the Lord is risen.
He is risen indeed.

My hope for a future, the redemption of my past, the sanctification of my present all hinge upon the resurrection of my brother Jesus. "His Easter victory means first his sovereignty over the living as well as the dead."  My brother Jesus is King over life and death, sin and righteousness, the present, past and future.

As I practice and contemplate self-control during this Easter season, I've noticed that the 'taking away' has illumined the many areas in which I severely lack self-control, which one could refer to as Spirit-filled living.(2 Tim. 1:7)  Thank God that I do not have to depend upon my flesh for righteous living, but upon the promise of my risen, interceding, and mediating brother Jesus.  Following his Resurrection he returned to his disciples, making this promise:
"And behold, I am sending the promise of my Father upon you.  But stay in the city until you are clothed with power from on high." Luke 24:49 
The Son is risen, He is risen indeed.

1 comment:

  1. Brandon, Thanks for expanding on this quote and on the ancient exclaimation, "The Lord is risen, indeed." I will join you in praying for this intense gladness. The resurrection of Jesus is the ultimate victory over all the contingencies of sin in our world and in our lives. What a wonderful Lord we have. Thanks too for the Langberg quote. Could you post the references for that? Happy Easter, dear friend.

    ReplyDelete