4.12.2012

Who do you say that I am?

"Who do you say that I am?"  This question had to baffle the disciples the first time they heard it.  How is one to answer such a personal, intimate, knowing question asked by the Word in flesh?

It's helpful to keep in mind that this question shows up in three of the four Gospels, giving us a notion of just how profoundly important it was in the minds of Matthew, Mark and Luke.  Which begs the question, 'What is it about this question that is so important?'  Quite honestly, I'm not sure the weight of this question lies in some great theology or doctrine.  Jesus had gotten to know these friends of his deeply and intimately, whether it be in a small boat on a raging sea; on multiple mile-long treks; in crowds of lepers, whores, thieves and the religious; or around a table breaking bread; the incarnate Word in flesh had gotten to know their hearts and was now turning the question to them.  I think Jesus is simply asking 'Do you know me, do you really know me?'  This seems to be the same question we, if we're seeking out connection and vulnerable intimacy with others, ask those around us.  Again, how does one answer this question posed by the living Christ?
"Only a superficial stereotyped answer can be forthcoming if we have not developed a personal relationship with Jesus.  We can only repeat and reproduce pious turns of speech that others have spoken or wave a catechism under children's noses if we have not gained some partial insight, some small perception, of the inexhaustible richness of the mystery of who is Jesus Christ."  Brennan  Manning
Three years in Seminary have given me an arsenal full of those 'pious turns of speech' mentioned above.  If someone asked me 'Who is Jesus?' I, as many of my peers, could (and most probably would) give a lengthy monologue about Jesus as the interceding priest, the true Davidic King, or the final paschal lamb of atonement.  This is all true, all very, very good, and in many ways has deepened my love for Jesus.  Yet it sounds much like what the disciples answered with, references to others or to a prophet long gone but now returned, but not from actual intimate knowing.  That is, until Peter, that reckless and needy disciple, who answers with 'Messiah'.  It's not a far stretch to realize Peter had experienced Jesus as Messiah.  Peter's heart had been turned toward Jesus in love and then given a small glimpse into his divine person-hood.

As I reflect on this question Jesus asks his followers to answer, I come away today with an answer so new and odd that I'm not quite sure how it fits into my framework of Christianity.  If I were to answer today I believe I would respond with 'brother'.  If I were asked to go into more depth, I would probably stumble over my words (likely making a mess of it all).  Yet, I find I am beginning to know him as brother.  I imagine this is what it's like for my two year old growing up in a home with a brother four years his elder.  He could point out his brother, know what he looks like, maybe even speak his name.  If you asked my youngest son to explain who his brother is, he could probably do little more than acknowledge him.  Yet, he knows him as brother.  He plays with him, spends time following him around, and often pesters him with his neediness for attention.  I'm grateful to be experiencing Jesus in this new way, a way I never before realized possible, much less acceptable or desired by an Almighty God.

How audacious and reckless, to call the infinite and eternal God-Man 'brother'.

How much more incredible and overwhelming to be called 'little brother' in return.

No comments:

Post a Comment